Thanks for printing! Don't forget to come back to Superior Plumbing for fresh articles!
Stubborn Clogged Drains
As everyone knows, clogged drains in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room are a real pain. Washing the family dog, long-haired family members washing their tresses every day and kitchen waste combined with grease are the main culprits that lead to stubborn clogged drains and the disgusting task that ensues –drain cleaning.
Word of Caution about Drain Cleaning
Before we get into the different types of Drain Cleaning products, it’s important to point out that they can prove hazardous and harmful to YOU and your pipes. Caustic and acidic drain cleaners should never be used in combination. They would neutralize each another and may generate large quantities of heat and gas. This may cause a potentially harmful, violent eruption from the drain. The combination can also cause severe injury to eyes and other tissues and may damage tubs and toilets. Unmitigated chemicals can cause holes in pipes and damage significant plumbing fixtures that could cost thousands of dollars to replace, so it’s probably not the Drain Cleaning solution you’re looking for.
Drain Cleaning Solutions
- Drain Cleaning Caustic liquids - the most common types contain bleach, lye or caustic potash and are used to dissolve grease and hair clogs. Other caustic solutions come as two-part cleaners that are mixed as they are poured in the drain opening. These two solutions form a gas that turns into a dense foam. This foam coats the inner walls of the clogged pipe thus removing more of whatever substances might be forming the clog.
- Drain Cleaning Caustic solids – these concentrated drain clearers consist of solid granules of sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide and are also used to dissolve hair and grease clogs. Some patented cleaners have aluminum turnings that react with water in the drain, heating the caustic mixture to the boiling point to aid in clog removal.
- Drain Cleaning Enzymatic cleaners - another type of drain cleaner is a liquid containing bacteria cultures and enzymes that gradually erode organic material on pipes that can cause slow drains. These are normally used as routine maintenance for proper flow, as they are incapable of clearing a completely clogged drainpipe. These products are also completely safe and effective for use in toilets, bathtubs, garbage disposals and septic systems.
- Drain Cleaning Acid liquids - a different type of drain cleaner is a liquid containing sulfuric acid. These can be very corrosive and hazardous if misused and can create intense heat that can cause the water in the drain to boil, creating a violent eruption from the drain. These acidic cleaners are often the only products that will effectively dissolve paper, rags and sanitary napkins. Many of these products are intended for professional use by plumbers and janitors, but are legal to sell to the general public.
Bio-Friendly Drain Cleaning Solutions
- Mechanical drain cleaners – These are machine-drive cables with specialized heads that are inserted into the affected pipe. The spinning action of the cable and head can cut through roots or retrieve items that have clogged drains (wash cloths for example).
- High-pressure water jetting - Trained, licensed plumbers should only use this technique since water jets can reach up to 4000 psi; this method cleans the pipe with water so blockage is less likely to reoccur. A high-pressure hose with a specialized head is inserted into the affected pipe to assist with this form of Drain Cleaning.
- With modern sewer cameras, like those used by Superior Plumbing, the inside of the pipe can be thoroughly inspected and if a problem is located an electronic signal is emitted by the camera head which can be detected from outside the pipe allowing the plumber to pinpoint exactly where the repair must be made.
Contact The Honest Plumber @ 770-422-PLUM
To speak with a real live Superior Plumbing representative, please call 770-422-PLUM (7586). We will schedule an appointment with one of our licensed plumbers who will give you expert, honest and courteous plumbing advice.
Superior Plumbing4.8 1085 1 5
Water Heater ReplacementI noticed water leaking from my hot water tank and the toilet nearest to it was making strange high-pitched noises and I noticed... Read More
- Sandra Chong5 5
Will use againI've used these guys 3 or 4 times and have had excellent service. Easy to make appointment, they called when they were on the way,... Read More
Would definitely recommend Superior for any size job.Superior did a great job with a major project at our home. The staff was easy to work with, and work was completed very quickly to our... Read More
- Paul Ursetta5 5
Excellent serviceWe had a problem with our hot water pressure getting worse, little by little. I called Superior and spoke to Amy, who was very attentive... Read More
5 StarsDid an outstanding job installing two bathroom faucets and a new shower diverter valve. He was on time, worked diligently with no break,... Read More
- Moe A5 5
Only Plumber I UseFrom start to finish, the team from Superior Plumbing did an outstanding job. The customer service team called prior to. From start... Read More
- Michael Adams
Five StarsImpressed with professionalism throughout experience with Superior Plumbing. Within an hour of contacting their office and explaining my... Read More
- Chris Hoitsma5 5
The honesty is what makes the companyMy plumber came on time and immediately put on protective booties for carpet. When shown the problem it took him mere seconds to... Read More
- Emily G
I would highly recommend Superior PlumbingI have used Superior for other jobs and this time was no different - Exceptional! I needed my water heater replaced and from start... Read More
- Robert Mendelsohn5 5
Great Customer ServiceA detailed description was given to us about the problem and fix needed. They did a great job explaining everything and completed... Read More
Happy CustomerAfter reading review after review of various plumbing companies on this site, I ultimately decided to call Superior, and was 100%... Read More
- "jim0115"5 5
Great Plumbing CompanyIn the past two years, we have needed major plumbing service, well beyond DIY jobs. Superior Plumbing had the expertise and equipment to... Read More
Great ServiceThe team from Superior Plumbing did a great job fixing the problem we had in our front yard. They were prompt, courteous, and... Read More
- "baseballmom001"5 5
Superior in name and in ServiceThe entire team I worked with in evaluating plumbing status for prospective buyers of my home was outstanding! Understood my... Read More
Superior Service IndeedI've used Superior Plumbing several times over the past few years and have always been very satisfied with them. The repairmen have... Read More
- "SherBil"5 5
Trustworthy and dependable.We've used Superior Plumbing several times - just used them again to help with two leaky faucets! Great job. Read More
Knowledgeable staffThe plumber sent out was able to quickly diagnose the real problem and solve it for a very reasonable price. My wife and I have been... Read More
- "Philip1965"5 5
Call Superior PlumbingWe have teen age girls with long hair and over the course of many years, their tub become too clogged for us to resolve ourselves. I had... Read More
Great experience with Superior.After waiting all day for a competitor, that never showed up, I called Superior and they were there right around the time they said they... Read More
- Keith Spear5 5
Great JobNeeded the drain assembly beneath the hall tub replaced. He cut through the closet wall. Found it on the first try. ... Read More
- Wes McKean